Sunday 3 April 2016

3/4/2016 Second sea day to Port Elizabeth

Clocks went back again last night so we're on GMT+3, but I think that's UK time +2 because of daylight saving.  Not sure though, because it doesn't make too much difference to our lazy way of life at the moment.  We worked out we're about the same latitude as Johannesburg today and so I'm feeling connected again to Lisa Ashton at Ilamula House, and still remembering and reflecting on my introduction to my more hands on side of the Winnie Mabaso Foundation through our health and well being training, the veggie gardens, the feeding programme and bra distribution programmes, and just one month ago. so some special thoughts today.

There's quite a breeze blowing through the decks today, and spray blowing up as far as our deck (deck 10) from the sea. On the bulletin now it says says the sea state is "rough", it looks choppy, there quite a lot of white froth, and the captain has advised us all to take care when walking around. Captain Philpott is his name by the way.  He says this swell should have gone by tomorrow lunch. The next stage I remember from last year is the appearance of the "motion discomfort bags".  I am feeling nauseous. The secret I have heard today is to keep busy, ignore it/pretend it's not happening

Although it has been sunny and still very warm outside, 27C, there seems to be a difference in the air. From the map it looks like we're crossing the Tropic of Capricorn today, so maybe that's why.  Our latitude is 28 south, longitude is roughly 40, wind - 8, and we're doin a speed of 19 nautical miles per hour.  All is well here, in spite of the swell. Another sea day tomorrow, then SA on 5/4/2016

This morning we went down to reception with our Yellow Fever Exemption Certificates.  Apparently P & O are reimbursing any expenses incurred by having to have either a vaccination or an exemption certificate.  Those who were vaccinated had to pay £50-£70, and those exempted like us had to pay £20 each for the consultation and exemption.  I guess this is because it was stipulated only for visiting the Gambia, which has now been cancelled. Good news, perhaps a Pandora charm for my bracelet from the on-board jewellers for me, or a bit mor gin for Khachik. Also this morning we completed a painting of yachts in the Solent.  I enjoyed it but somehow managed to lose (or maybe never find) any sense of movement of the yachts or effects of the wind on the sea in my painting.  Khachik's looks great, really lively. It seems, Khachik thinks, to have something to do with the inclination of the sail, and his lines in the water, but I also think his sky has a bit more of wild wind in it.



This afternoon we attended a talk by former Notts Forest and Leeds footballer Duncan McKenzie.  He played for Brian Clough and told tales which were first and foremost really funny, becasue he did all the voices and accents, but also interesting and quite informative for a non-football fan like me, as well as for Khachik.


Afterwards Khachik got to the gym for an hour of walking and I went to a craft class to make a multi -layered greeting card. I learned a lot by keeping my head down, listening to the gossip about Yellow Fever refunds and who didn't deserve them. I just chuckled quietly to myself, as I am on that list! This was where with my head down concentration I first noticed the nausea, so I am now rectifying this with a focus on the horizon between sentences.

Right now Khachik is watching the Manchester United v. Everton match, so we'll be having a late dinner to accommodate the habit of a lifetime!  The sun has set beautifully and the dark blue sky and purple clouds have taken over and the wind is whistling loudly round the balconies. I might give movement around the ship and entertainment a miss tonight and will say bye for now so I don't have to look down for too long. xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment